Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Editing the Novel

After a long, very long break from this text, I finally feel ready to tackle it. Reading it gives me the creeps - I always knew that if I started editing, it would end up losing at least 33% in length. It's awfully inflated.

Now, long after it was completed, I can reread it and cut the crap down to a more readable form. I also need to resolve some plot issues: The rebels are levying unspeakably high tariffs from the merchants, and the merchants are fuming, but they also say that the tariffs are far lower than they were under King Taral? Minor contradiction there...

A new chapter is posted - it lost a lot in length before I put it up here, possibly as much as 20%. This is the description of Iola's and Morinan-Wo's briefing (scroll down to find it). I also have several further unposted chapters.

After I'm done editing this first part, I'm going to work on translating it into German (and, in the process, smooth the text further - there's nothing better for quality editing than trying to change it to another language; it's like defragmenting the text). After THAT, I'm going to see what I can write this year - November is coming up faster every time, somehow...

4 Comments:

Blogger sirbarrett said...

Good stuff! Editing is a big step in the writing process, one I should make more often. I'll read the new chapter and catch up some more of the story. Sounds like you have a solid process of doing it too. You speak German?! Du bist sehr vollstaendig, screiber!

12:58 AM  
Blogger Arancaytar said...

Thanks very much! (well, German is my first language actually). I hope to get this story at least somewhat done before November comes around and I try to write another one. ;)

On another note, I'd be interested to know why Blogger sent me a total of 20 random visitors within a few hours, and why four of them seemed to think this blog was a good way to post comment spam on (now deleted). This isn't exactly an active blog after all...

2:07 AM  
Blogger Arancaytar said...

And another 5 spams gone. I mean, I'm glad someone thinks "You have interesting site" but I'm not particularly happy with the "buy ci***s" message in the footnote.

Nasty.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Arancaytar said...

> If I find something else I'll inform you. -- spammer

No you won't, if you know what's good for you.

2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home